Fire-Grilled Eggplant with Sweet Tomato Gravy
Grilled eggplant gets a summery topping of spicy tomato sauce.
- Eggplant and Marinade:
- 3 medium eggplants, unpeeled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded, finely diced
- Tomato Sauce:
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for brushing eggplant
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 2 medium green peppers, diced
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 10 large ripe Arizona tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ to 1 cup vegetable broth, if needed
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and halth benefits about the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Slice eggplants lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick slices and discard outer slices. Each eggplant should yield about 4 to 5 slices.
- Combine olive oil, lime juice, red pepper flakes and jalapeño pepper ingredients in a small bowl. Pour marinade over eggplant slices and refrigerate 20 minutes.
- While eggplant marinates, prepare tomato gravy. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, peppers and garlic; sauté until almost tender. Add paprika and salt. Add diced tomatoes; cook until tomatoes start to break down. Add broth if necessary to keep sauce from sticking. Add green chiles including juice and honey. Cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Heat a grill.
- Remove eggplant from marinade. Discard marinade. Place eggplant on hot grill until browned. Flip and grill other side. Move eggplant to outer side of grill and close lid. Cook 2 to 3 minutes longer. Remove from grill and place on large platter. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Spoon tomato gravy over eggplant and garnish with additional tomatoes, if desired.