Chicken with Eggplant
- 1/2 cup Almond Breeze Unsweetened Original Almondmilk
- About 1 cup small pasta shapes (or make rice or just serve with bread)
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- About 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil
- 2 medium eggplant - trimmed and cut into large pieces
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 1/2 minced jalapeño - seeds removed
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 large tomato - cut into a large dice
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- A few minced chives and/or parsley leaves
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Boil water for the pasta. When it’s ready, salt well and add the pasta, cooking according to package directions. Drain, toss with a little olive oil, and set aside.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 3 pieces each. Season the chicken pieces generously on both sides with lots of salt and pepper. Place the flour on a plate or shallow bowl, and dip the the chicken pieces in, then shake off the excess.
- Set a large skillet over high heat for 5 minutes, until very hot. Pour in enough oil to coat the surface, then turn the heat down to medium-high. Brown the chicken until golden on each side, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Be sure not to crowd the pan—better to do this in two batches. Remove to a plate. (Don’t taste the chicken, it’s likely not fully cooked).
- Add a little more oil, then add the eggplant pieces and cook until brown, 3 minutes, then flip and cook another 3 minutes. Sprinkle with salt, then push the eggplant to the side and add add the onions, pepper, and garlic, and continue cooking until the eggplant and the onions are soft, 2 to 5 minutes. Add the tomato and cook another minute or two, til it releases its juices.
- Return the chicken to the pot, then add the almond milk. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low and cook until thickened and the chicken is done, about 5 minutes. Drizzle on the vinegar, and taste for salt. Serve over the pasta and garnish with minced chives.