Buttermilk Pecan Pie from Pearson Farm
Buttermilk offers a tangy counterpoint to the pie's sweetness.
- Pie Crust:
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 to 3 1/2 tablespoon ice water
- 3 Eggs, beaten
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 8 tablespoon (1 stick) melted unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup pecan pieces (or chopped pecans)
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- To prepare the crust, combine flour and salt in a bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Sprinkle surface with ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time; toss with a fork until moist and crumbly. Press mixture gently into a 5-inch circle; wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 15 minutes.
- Flour dough lightly. Roll into circle between sheets of waxed paper on dampened countertop. Peel off top sheet. Flip into a 10-inch pie plate. Remove other sheet and press pastry to fit. Fold edge under. Flute.
- Preheat to 275F.
- To prepare the filling, beat eggs with a whisk. Add sugar and flour; beat well. Add melted butter, buttermilk and vanilla. Stir well.
- Sprinkle pecan pieces evenly into the pie crust; pour in egg mixture.
- Bake about 1 hour or until golden brown and set.