Scalloped Sweet and White Potatoes
Can't decide between white potatoes and sweet? Have both in this creamy gratin.
- 1 pound white potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 2 1/2 cup 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 4 ounce aged shredded white Cheddar cheese or Comté cheese
- 2 ounce finely grated Romano cheese
- Cover potatoes with cold water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered 10 minutes. Drain well in a colander.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Add milk, stirring until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add Cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Combine potatoes and cheese sauce in a shallow gratin dish. Sprinkle with Romano cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes.