This streusel-topped version, light on molasses and heavy on spice, has a moist, almost coffeecake-like texture and a delicate crumb.
The streusel melts into the cake and provides a yummy appearance. Be sure to coat only the bottom of your pan with cooking spray.
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoon molasses
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Preheat oven to 300F. Coat bottom only of a 9-inch square pan or 9-inch tube pan with cooking spray. If using a tube pan with a removable bottom, wrap outside of pan with foil to prevent leaks.
- Combine flour, sugar, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter and shortening to make a crumbly mixture. Scoop out ¼ cup and set aside.
- Add egg and molasses to flour mixture and stir. Combine buttermilk, baking soda and salt. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir well (there will still be a few lumps). Pour into prepared pan; sprinkle reserved flour mixture evenly over top.
- Bake 30 minutes. Increase temperature to 350F and continue baking 18 to 20 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.