Fennel and Arugula Salad with Hot Tomato Dressing
Summer's wildest greens get accented by a sweet and chunky tomato dressing.
This salad, with its grilled fennel, sweet tomato dressing and peppery arugula, goes perfectly with grilled fish or meat. You can make the dressing and grilled fennel ahead, then reheat before serving.
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into ½-inch slices
- 3 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cup arugula
- Steam fennel, covered, about 7 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in grill pan over medium-high heat. Add fennel, and cook 4 minutes on each side or until charred.
- Place tomatoes in small skillet over medium heat. Add vinegar, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook until tomatoes burst. Mash with a fork or potato masher. (Be careful not to overcook and let liquids evaporate.)
- Divide arugula among 4 plates. Top with fennel and spoon hot tomato dressing over the top.