Fresh Cherry Sauce
Pitted whole cherries, floating in a brilliantly colored sauce, make a terrific topping for ice cream, sorbet or cheesecake.
For a lighter dessert, ladle the sauce onto shortcakes or pound cake and top with a little vanilla frozen yogurt.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 3 cup pitted cherries (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan; stir in water. Cook, stirring often, over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a full boil.
- Add cherries; boil gently, mixing gently and occasionally with a large spoon, 4 minutes or until cherries are slightly softened. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.