Caramelized Onion-Chanterelle Tart
Savory-sweet onions pair with the king of mushrooms in this rich early fall tart.
- 1 refrigerated piecrust
- 1 tablespoon Dijon country-style (course-grain) mustard
- 2 tablespoon butter, divided
- 2 medium onions, sliced lengthwise
- Sprigs of fresh thyme
- 4 ounce chanterelle mushrooms, sliced lengthwise
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Roll out piecrust to fit in a 12-inch tart pan. Place in pan and press into the sides. Coat surface with mustard. Bake 10 minutes. Let cool.
- To prepare filling, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté 15 minutes. Add salt, pepper and thyme leaves. Scrape into a small bowl.
- In the same skillet, melt remaining butter. Add mushrooms and cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Combine eggs and half-and-half and beat until well blended.
- Sprinkle about half the cheese on the bottom of tart shell. Spoon in onions. Pour in egg mixture. Place mushrooms all over the top, along with remaining cheese.
- Bake 40 minutes, or until tart is golden brown and filling is set. Serve warm or room temperature.