Cranberry Orange Pie
The tartness of cranberries shines in this jewel-toned filling.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 12 ounce cranberries, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoon butter, cubed
- 1 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crust
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugars with orange peel and juice; bring to a boil over medium heat and boil 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, add cranberries and salt and cook, stirring until cranberries burst and sauce thickens, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla and butter and stir until butter is melted. Let sauce cool slightly, 10 to 15 minutes. Place pie crust on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Pour filling into crust to within 1/4 inch of top rim. Bake 30 minutes. Place on wire rack and let cool 30 minutes.