Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
A wide, shallow baking dish, such as a gratin or casserole, provides plenty of space for the crumbs on top of this homey chicken dish.
- 6 cup bite-size broccoli florets and stems peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cup (6 ounces) cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1/4 cup diced, drained jarred roasted red pepper, patted dry
- 3 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Preheat oven to 425F. Coat a 10-inch round gratin dish with cooking spray.
- Steam broccoli in steamer rack over boiling water 4 minutes or until bright green and tender. Arrange broccoli in gratin dish and top with chicken and red pepper.
- In medium saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add flour, cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Add milk and broth; cook, whisking almost constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat so mixture bubbles gently; cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Stir in nutmeg, salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Pour over gratin.
- In a small skillet, melt remaining 2 teaspoons butter; add bread crumbs and mix to combine. Sprinkle over gratin. Bake 10 minutes or until bubbling hot.