Brown Butter and Sour Cream Cornbread
Brown butter and sour cream add richness and flavor to this simple cornbread.
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, swirling often until lightly browned and nutty, about 4 minutes. Pour into a medium bowl, and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Rub an 8-inch cast-iron skillet with the oil; place in oven to heat.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add eggs and sour cream to cooled butter, whisking well. Pour into dry ingredients, and stir just to combine, taking care not to overmix. Pour batter into skillet. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in skillet 5 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack.