Salad in a Jar
A simple-to-make lunch salad you can easily take to work or on a picnic.
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoon bottled Italian vinaigrette dressing
- 1/2 cup grape tomato halves
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup sliced button mushrooms
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Combine barley, lemon rind and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 35 to 40 minutes. Add carrot and salt. Stir and let cool completely before layering in jars.
- To assemble, place 3 tablespoons salad dressing in bottom of 2 (1-pint) jars. Layer half the barley mixture, half the tomatoes, half the spinach, then half the mushrooms. Repeat layers.