Toasted Garlic Grits
Toasted garlic grits are a traditional Creole brunch dish that also make a cozy dinner.
Sautéing the garlic until light brown adds a sweet, toasty flavor to the grits.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cup water
- 1/2 cup stone-ground grits
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- Shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until golden brown. (Watch carefully as garlic goes from brown to burned in a flash). Add water and stir in grits, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until thick and creamy, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Beat egg with half-and-half. Add to grits, stirring well. Pour into a baking dish. Top with cheese, if using.
- Bake about 20 minutes, until puffed and golden. Serve with Braised Round Steak.