Creamy Risotto with Shrimp
Creamy and indulgent, this risotto is topped off with succulent sauteed shrimp and a pop of heat.
For the best consistency, remove the risotto from the heat when there is still some liquid visible; the rice will continue to absorb it. Pair this with an arugula salad and a crisp white wine or lighter red like Pinot Noir.
- 4 cup reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 4 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon, extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails intact
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Heat broth in a saucepan. Keep warm.
- Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; sauté 2 minutes. Add rice and stir to coat in oil. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Add wine, bring to a simmer and cook until wine is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add 1 cup warm broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is mostly absorbed. Continue adding broth 1 cup at a time, cooking and stirring, until rice is al dente, 25 to 30 minutes. Add green peas and cook 3 minutes. Add butter, cream and cheese, stirring until incorporated.
- Sprinkle shrimp with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, black pepper and pepper flakes. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a skillet. Add shrimp and sauté just until firm and bright pink, about 2 minutes per side. Serve with risotto.