Spice Rub with Cocoa, Chili Powder and Espresso
This spice mix adds a wonderful depth of heat and flavor to meats. It's delicious grilled onto flank steak, but will work equally well on pork tenderloin or beef brisket.
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon espressor powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 pound flank steak
- Olive oil
- Whisk all ingredients, except steak, in a bowl.
- Gently score the surface of a flank steak. Coat the entire surface with olive oil.
- Sprinkle spice rub liberally over both sides of the meat. Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to grill. This may be done ahead of time – even overnight – to allow flavors to permeate the meat.
- Grill steak over medium-hot coals until done to the desired degree.