Red Beans and Rice with Kielbasa
Turkey sausage updates a traditional New Orleans recipe.
- 1 pound dried red kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound turkey kielbasa, cut into ¼-inch thick rounds
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cup hot cooked white rice
- Rinse beans. Place beans in a large bowl or Dutch oven. Cover with water by several inches. Let soak overnight.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add kielbasa and cook until browned on both sides. Add onion, celery and garlic. Cook until onion is tender. Drain beans and add to pan. Add chicken broth and enough water to cover by 2 inches. Add parsley, hot sauce and salt.
- Cook beans until tender, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours. Add more water if needed. Serve over hot rice.