Bengali Breakfast Grains
This Indian-inspired breakfast cereal stars bulgur and blueberries.
This breakfast cereal epitomizes high quality calories: whole grains and fiber from the bulgur, calcium from the milk, and antioxidants from the berries. Because it is precooked, bulgur is relatively quick to prepare.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup coarse grind bulgur
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cup fat-free milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup fresh or ½ cup dried blueberries
- Heat oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add bulgur and fennel seeds and cook, stirring frequently, until bulgur is toasted, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 2 cups milk, vanilla, salt and spices. Return to heat and bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to lowest simmer, cover, and simmer until most, but not all, of the liquid has been absorbed, 12 to 14 minutes. (Note: For softer bulgur, add another ¼ cup milk and continue to cook 5 to 8 minutes.)
- Spoon into serving dishes. Pour about 1 tablespoon milk over each serving. Garnish with blueberries.