Gingered Buffalo Burgers with Jicama
Diced jicama melds with lime juice, red pepper and cilantro for a bright and crunchy note atop this unconventional burger.
Jicama, big on nutrition and low on calories, can be found in most supermarkets. Look for a very firm example with no soft spots or wrinkles.
- 1 medium jicama, peeled and julienned
- 1 medium red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 carrots, julienne
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pound ground buffalo
- 1 1/2 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup finely diced peeled jicama
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry or white wine
- 2 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 baguette, sliced open
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- To prepare salsa, combine all salsa ingredients in a medium bowl; toss well to coat.
- To prepare burger patties, combine buffalo, ginger, jicama, garlic, sherry, soy sauce, egg, salt and pepper. Form into 6 patties about 3/4-inch thick. Place on a tray lined with plastic wrap, cover with more plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to cook. (Patties may be prepared 1 day ahead).
- Preheat grill until hot. Place patties on the grill rack over coals and cook, covered, about 4 minutes. Flip, cover and cook 3 to 4 minutes more, until done. Place patties on baguette bottoms; top with jicama salsa and baguette tops.