East-West Black-Eyed Peas
Black-eyed peas, a New Year’s Day must, team up with miso for a bicultural celebration.
Miso, a fermented soybean paste, is available at natural foods supermarkets (in the refrigerator case) and Asian groceries.
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 dried chipotle pepper, broken in half
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 3 clove garlic, chopped
- 4 can (15-ounce) black-eyed peas
- 2 tablespoon heaping dark or light miso
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Heat vegetable oil in a large, heavy skillet. Add onion and chipotle pepper; saute about 8 minutes. Add carrots, celery, bell pepper and garlic; saute 5 minutes.
- Place peas in a large Dutch oven. Add onion mixture to peas. Add miso, sesame oil, salt and pepper. Stir gently. Cook over medium-low heat until thoroughly heated.