Classic Bread Stuffing
Only about 2 to 3 cups of stuffing will fit inside the bird. Place the rest in a dish, cover and bake. Remember, the stuffing that cooks inside the bird will be very moist from the turkey juices. The stuffing in the dish will be a bit drier. This amount of stuffing will fit inside a 12-pound turkey. Double it for a larger bird or if you want leftovers.
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery hearts
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cup toasted bread cubes or croutons
- 1/3 cup pecan pieces
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Combine dried cranberries and hot water; soak 30 minutes to plump.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and celery and cook about 8 minutes. Add garlic, sage, salt and pepper and cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool 10 minutes.
- Combine vegetables with remaining ingredients and mix gently with a spatula or spoon. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Spoon stuffing into the cavity of a prepared turkey and roast. Or place stuffing in a shallow baking dish and bake 30 minutes at 350F. Makes 6 cups.