Hash-Brown Potato Soup
Frozen hash browns make a perfect base for this hearty bowl of creamy potato soup.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 cup frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, partially thawed (such as Ore-Ida)
- 6 cup reduced-sodium fat-free vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated skimmed milk or 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup Greek nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped green onion, grated white Cheddar cheese, crumbled cooked bacon (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and saute until tender, about 8 minutes. Add hash browns and broth. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and cook, covered, 8 to 10 minutes.
- In small bowl, whisk together flour with 1/3 cup evaporated milk. Add to potato mixture with remaining milk. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and cook, stirring, 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in yogurt, salt and pepper. (Don't boil after adding yogurt.) Stir until well combined. Top with green onions, cheese and bacon if desired.