Adorable DIY Chocolate Flowerpot Cakes
Cakes in actual flowerpots—a dessert and a cute conversation piece!
You can make these in smaller or larger flowerpots; adjust the baking time accordingly.
- 8 clean unglazed (very important) terra-cotta pots, 3 inches high and 3½ inches across at the top (6-ounce capacity)
- Cooking spray
- 2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- Chocolate Frosting, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray pots with cooking spray. Put a small piece of parchment paper in the bottom of each pot to cover the hole.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Stir together boiling water and cocoa in a small bowl.
- Combine butter and sugar and beat with a mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 5 to 6 minutes, scraping the bowl once. Add eggs one at a time; beat well after each addition.
- With mixer at low speed, add flour mixture alternating with cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Scrape bowl occasionally. Batter will be thin.
- Divide batter evenly among pots to about three-quarters full. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place pots on baking sheet and bake 35 to 40 minutes, until cakes are springy to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and dry. Transfer to wire racks and cool completely in the flowerpots. Frost the top of each with Chocolate Frosting, if desired.