Beer-Boiled Shrimp Cocktail
Beer for the shrimp and chili-flavored cocktail sauce amp up this version of the classic appetizer.
No party is complete without beer. Here, it lends a kiss of hoppy flavor to shrimp cocktail. For individual servings, divide the sauce among martini glasses and hook the shrimp over the rims. Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing.
- 2 (12-ounce) bottles beer, preferably lager
- 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup crab-boil seasoning (such as Old Bay)
- 1 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
- 10 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 pound large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (preferably tail-on; thawed if frozen)
- Cocktail Sauce:
- 3/4 cup bottled chili sauce
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 tablespoon dry white wine, sherry or vermouth
- 1 1/2 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Mix all ingredients for shrimp (except shrimp) in large, deep skillet. Bring to simmer over high heat. Add shrimp, return to simmer, and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp curl and turn pink. Remove from heat and let stand 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate 2 to 6 hours. Drain shrimp, discarding other solids. Chill until serving.
- Mix all ingredients for cocktail sauce in a small serving bowl. Chill until serving.
- Serve shrimp cold with sauce.