Homemade Farmer’s Cheese
This homemade cheese is mild, like ricotta or fresh mozzarella.
- 1/2 gallon whole milk, not ultra-pasteurized
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fresh herbs or Ripe Olive and Fig Tapenade (optional)
- Warm milk over medium heat in a heavy-bottom saucepan, stirring occasionally, until it reaches 175F. Add vinegar, remove from heat and stir 1 minute. Let stand 15 minutes.
- While curds are separating, line a colander with moistened cheesecloth and place over a bowl or in the sink.
- Gently stir in fresh herbs or a dollop of Ripe Olive and Fig Tapenade or leave plain.
- Pour curds into cheesecloth. Allow whey to drain 5 minutes, then gather up corners of cheesecloth and use your hands to gently squeeze out remaining whey. Press cheesecloth bundle into a flat disk and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Enjoy as is or place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator up to 5 days.