Simple Homemade Caramel Sauce
A simple method for making your own caramel sauce.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 stick butter (optional)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or other coarse salt
- In a medium saucepan, dissolve sugar and water over medium heat. Once dissolved, stir in butter (if using). Allow to come to a boil. As your sauce simmers, run a wet brush around the inner edges of the pan to avoid a buildup of burnt caramel.
- Continue cooking until sauce turns brown. At this point, carefully add heavy cream, whisking continuously.
- Remove from heat, and cool to room temperature. Once cooled, stir in a pinch of sea salt (or more, to taste).