Highlighted by a spicy pasta sauce, this traditional Italian dish is filled with nutrients.
For a milder sauce, omit the capers and decrease the amount of red pepper flakes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, grated (about 2 1/2cups)
- 4 anchovy fillets from a can, mashed with a fork
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoon capers, drained
- 2 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 16 ounce hot cooked spaghetti
- 1 ounce grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add zucchini and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in anchovies. Add tomatoes, red pepper flakes, olives and capers; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in fresh basil. Serve over spaghetti with cheese.