Rhubarb-Mint Wine Spritzer
Puckery sweet rhubarb syrup casts a brilliant red hue and makes a terrific base for cocktails, such as this wine spritzer.
The rhubarb syrup would be tasty poured over ice cream or pound cake, too.
- Fresh Rhubarb Simple Syrup:
- 8 to 10 stalk fresh rhubarb cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 (750ml) bottles chilled white wine, such as a Pinot Grigio
- 1 1/2 to 2 cup Fresh Rhubarb Simple Syrup
- 1 liter chilled seltzer water
- Fresh mint leaves
- To prepare simple syrup, put rhubarb, agave nectar and water into a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil. Turn heat to simmer and cook, stirring every so often, until mixture is somewhat reduced and slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Let cool about 30 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine sieve, pressing gently with a spoon to release all the liquid. Let cool completely and pour into a glass container. Rhubarb syrup will keep for a few weeks in the refrigerator. Makes 2 cups.
- To prepare spritzer, mix wine and rhubarb syrup in a large pitcher. Add a small handful of fresh mint leaves to the pitcher. Use a wooden spoon to gently crush leaves. Stir well. Add seltzer water just before serving. Serve over ice cubes and garnish with more mint.