Spinach Dip with Peppery Cheese
At long last—a lightened-up version of a favorite party dip!
This Indian-inspired creamed spinach is great as a dip or side to roast chicken or pork. For a less spicy flavor, use plain jack cheese.
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon peeled, chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala or curry powder
- 1 pound fresh spinach leaves, washed and finely chopped, or 1 (16-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounce Monterrey Jack pepper cheese, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add ginger and spices and cook, stirring, about 30 seconds or until mixture is fragrant and begins to bubble.
- Add spinach and cook about 2 minutes over medium-high heat or until wilted and tender. Reduce heat. Add salt and cheese and stir until cheese melts and mixture is creamy. Serve hot with pita bread.