A New Orleans classic sandwich, Muffulettas are a perfect choice for a lunch-time crowd.
You'll have about 4 cups of olive mix—enough to make 3 sandwiches.
- New Orleans-Style Olive Mix:
- 2 cup chopped pitted green olives with pimientos (10-ounce jar)
- 3/4 cup chopped black or kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoon chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 2 tablespoon capers
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 loaf round Italian bread
- 1 cup New Orleans Style Olive Mix
- 1/4 pound sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1/4 pound lean ham, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound hard salami, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound mortadella, thinly sliced (can substitute good quality bologna)
- To prepare olive mix, combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir well. Spoon into a 1-quart jar with lid. Refrigerate about 1 week before serving. Will keep almost indefinitely in the refrigerator.
- To prepare sandwich, slice Italian bread evenly in half. Spread olive mix on both halves. Layer cheeses and meats evenly on top. Place two halves of sandwich together. Slice into wedges.