Cheese and Black Pepper Cornbread
Pepper plays a starring role in this not-so-sweet but very cheesy cornbread.
Fill the pans only about half-way so that the middle of the cornbread gets done -- it will still be really moist.
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon, baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup canned creamed corn
- 1 3/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar or Jack cheese (8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray two 8-inch square baking pans with cooking spray.
- Combine flour and next 6 ingredients (flour through black pepper) in a bowl.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl. Whisk in milk and oil.
- Pour egg mixture into cornmeal mixture; whisk using as few strokes as possible. (Batter will be thinner than the usual cornbread.) Stir in corn and half the cheese. Pour into prepared pans; top with remaining cheese. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown. Place foil over the top during the last 10 minutes of baking if the top is getting too brown. Remove from oven. Spread butter on top and sprinkle with salt, if using.