Tennessee Cheddar Puffs
Light and airy, these Cheddar Puffs are a perfect party appetizer.
Be sure to cook the water, butter, flour mixture until it's difficult to stir and it forms a ball-like mass.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 2 cup water
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 to 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 10 ounce shredded sharp Cheddar (about 3 cups)
- 6 large eggs
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine butter, water, sugar, salt and cayenne in a large saucepan. Cook until butter melts. Add 2 cups of flour all at once. Reduce heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until mixture is stiff and forms a ball-like mass, about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Pour into mixing bowl; using a mixer with a paddle attachment, beat 1 minute at medium-low speed to cool the mixture. Increase speed to medium; add eggs one at a time, beating to incorporate before adding the next. Batter should be firm, not runny. If necessary, blend in an additional ½ cup flour. Fold in cheese. Drop by tablespoons onto baking pan lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake 10 minutes, turn the pan, and bake 10 more minutes. Leftover puffs can be frozen.