A hearty, healthy soup that comes together quickly.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cup water
- 8 (6-inch) day-old corn tortillas, sliced into strips and baked until crisp
- 1 (15-ounce) can hominy, drained
- 1 medium poblano, anahiem or jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cup cooked, shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Avocado slices
- Shredded Manchego or Monterey Jack cheese
- Sour cream
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- To make the tortilla strips, stack and slice the tortillas into strips. Lightly brush with oil and bake at 350F until golden and crisp.
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic to pan. Saute until soft. Stir in spices, tomatoes, chicken broth, water and 1/2 of the tortilla strips. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in hominy and next 5 ingredients (hominy through salt). Simmer 10 minutes.
- Pour soup into bowls and top with remaining tortilla strips, avocado, cheese and a dollop of sour cream.