Pasta with Red Sauce, Mushrooms and Sausage
A hearty pasta dinner featuring a savory red sauce with Italian sausage.
- 1 pound pasta (fresh or dried) such as fettuccine or tube-shaped pasta
- 12 ounce bulk Italian sausage (sweet or hot)
- 8 ounce shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 4 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 ounce prosciutto, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth or dry white wine
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Ingredient Facts and Health Benefits
Discover fascinating facts and health benefits about some of the ingredients in the recipe, including other delicious recipes!
- Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Reserve a 1/4 cup of cooking liquid, drain pasta. Stir in reserved cooking liquid. Keep warm.
- Crumble Italian sausage into a large saucepan and cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove sausage from pan and set aside. Add sliced mushrooms to pan and saute in drippings about 2 minutes. Remove mushrooms from pan and add to sausage. In the same pan, add garlic, basil, and red pepper flakes (if using), and saute until garlic is fragrant. Add prosciutto and saute 1 minute. Add chicken broth, bring to a simmer, reduce heat, and cook 8 to 10 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and sausage mixture and stir until combined. Simmer sauce, partially covered, about 20 minutes. Stir in sugar (if using) and cook 1 minute.
- Place warm pasta in serving bowls. Top with sauce and cheese.